For any detailed questions or clarification, please contact the team directly.

Why should I use an RICS regulated surveyor?

The RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) is responsible for the regulation of the surveying industry. Appointing an RICS-regulated Chartered Building Surveyor to undertake your building survey is essential. It is also just as important to find a reputable one. By using a surveyor that holds RICS status you can feel confident that you will receive expert, professional advice from a fully qualified and experienced individual that you can trust. RICS-regulated surveyors have to adhere to strict codes of conduct and high professional standards. All of our surveyors are RICS Chartered Building Surveyors and you can rest assured that they will be acting independently and in your best interests at all times.

How do I know which survey is right for me?

Deciding whether a Full Building Survey or a Homebuyer's Report is right for you will depend on the house you are buying and your individual circumstances. For example if you are buying a fairly standard house in need of some attention our HomeBuyer’s Report could suit you well. However if you are buying a larger, older property or a house that has is unusual or has been altered, or if you intend to do building works to the house once you own it, then we would recommend our more comprehensive Full Building Survey.

We strongly recommend you call us to discuss your individual circumstances, once we know a bit more about the property you are intending to buy we will be able to give you advice on which survey will be best for you. Call us on: 0191 260 2222 or 0191 384 6000 or email: hello@silverstoneresidentialsurveys.com


What types of surveys do you offer?

We offer three types of surveys. An RICS HomeBuyer Report, an RICS Full Building Survey and a Party Wall Survey.

 An RICS HomeBuyer Report is our most basic form of report and is recommended by the RICS for houses that are “fairly standard and potentially in need of some attention”. Follow the link to find out more about our HomeBuyer’s Report.

The RICS Full Building Survey is our most comprehensive form of survey.  It is a thorough inspection of the structure and fabric of the property and is recommended for a larger, older or run-down property, a building that is unusual or has been altered; or if you are planning to do major works once you own the property. Follow the link to find out more about our Full Building Survey.

A Party Wall Survey is required when you are planning on undertaking any works to a wall that is shared with a neighbour.  It is essential to employ the services of a Chartered Surveyor to serve a notice on the adjoining owner and deal with any disputes that may arise. Follow the link to find out more about our Party Wall Surveys.

Once the survey has been done how long will it be before I receive my report?

Once the physical survey is complete we will get the written report to you within a maximum of 7 working days.  We will try to accommodate a quicker turnaround if required. 

How much will my survey cost?

The cost depends on the type of residential survey required and also a number of other factors including the size and age of the property. Please contact us to discuss your individual requirements and once we have some more information about the property you are buying we will be able to give you a free no obligation quote. You can call us on: 0191 260 2222 OR 0191 384 6000 or email us: hello@silverstoneresidentialsurveys.com

Which geographical areas do you cover?

We carry out residential building surveys across the whole of the North East region including; Tyne & Wear, Northumberland, Durham and Tees Valley. 

Why should I use Silverstone Residential Surveys?

Here are our top 5 reasons to choose Silverstone Residential Surveys for your next house purchase:

  1. We are an established team of fully qualified Chartered Building Surveyors with over 60 years’ combined building surveying experience 
  2. We are regulated by the RICS (Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors) and adhere to its strict code of conduct and high professional standards. 
  3. We are independently owned, which means we have no ties or associations to any estate agent, bank or any other party, we will give you non-conflicting advice written exclusively for your benefit.
  4. We provide an exceptional level of service that is professional and tailored to your individual needs.
  5. Our advice is clear and jargon-free and delivered in a way that is easy to understand and within your required timescales.

Why not take a look at our testimonials page to see what some of our customers say about our services.

If you recommend building works to the property do you provide budget costs?

Budget costs are only provided in the RICS Full Building Survey Report.  This is our most comprehensive form of survey and is the only one that provides you with a full picture of what you are buying, as well as our professional opinion as to what additional costs you might have to pay out after purchasing the house.

Why do I need a Homebuyer's Report?

We offer two types of survey - either a Homebuyer's report or a full building survey.  A Homebuyer's report will provide certain information about the property which will help you to make an informed decision.  A Homebuyer's report is not, however as comprehensive as a full building survey and is therefore not appropriate for all property types.

We can provide advice on which type of survey will be most suitable for you and your particular circumstances. Please contact a member of the team on 0191 260 2222 or 0191 384 6000 to find out more.

What does a surveyor look for?

A surveyor looks for defects in the construction or the materials that could cause problems with the property in the future. A surveyor will look at symptoms of potential defects which are often hidden, e.g. a brown stain on a ceiling tile is a symptom of a roof defect.

How long does a survey take to carry out?

This depends on the size and age of the property and the number of issues identified.  It would take a minimum of 1 hour and usuallyno more than 4 hours.

When is the best time to get a survey done?

As early as  possible in the purchase process. The survey may identify defects and future maintenance costs that can be used to re-negotiate the purchase price or even affect your decision to proceed with the purchase at all. 

What is the difference between my mortgage company’s valuation and a building survey?

A bank valuation is not a survey. It is a report that allows the lender to make sure that they will get their money back and they are not lending more than the property is worth.  A bank valuer acts only in the interests of the bank and not the person borrowing the money/buying the house.

A bank valuation will not provide any information on the state and condition of the property nor would it give you any comments on ongoing or future maintenance costs.

I'm buying a new build property. Do I need a survey?

We would recommend a survey for any property including new builds.  We can give an independent view on the quality of design, materials used and workmanship and any defects that might arise as a result of that.  We can also assist with the snagging process following completion of the building process.

Do I need to organise access to the property for my survey?

No. Silverstone will liaise with the estate agents or if there isn't an agent, with the owner directly to arrange access for the survey.